This page will guide you through the basic steps you want to make to get started modding HPL2. This guide will have you use Amnesia – The Dark Descent (TDD), not Amnesia – A Machine For Pigs (AMFP), as TDD is the one that is officially supported for modding.
Before you get started, you should already have the following:
- A legal copy of Amnesia – The Dark Descent installed. All platforms should work, including Steam, GOG and retail DVDs, on Windows, Mac OS X (versions EARLIER than 10.15 Catalina), and most Linux distros.
- Your code editor of choice installed. For example VS Code or Atom. If you're old school, Notepad++ also works great.
Setting up your game
Before you dive in, you should set up a few things:
- Install the development tools for your platform.
- Configure your game to use the development environment (optional, but highly recommended).
- Bookmark the Script Functions page. This page is a great reference for when you create your scripts.
Here are a few additional things you can do that are very useful to check out:
- Check out the HPL2 glossary for explanations on common terms and phrases and what they mean.
- Join the official Discord server and ask questions if you need help.
You are now ready to start setting up your first custom story!