< HPL1Jump to navigation Jump to search
Getting started document
What you need
- Penumbra: Overture
- Download The Tools
- Download .NET 1.1 and 2.0 should both work fine.
- You will need COLLADA for your 3D editor. Get Maya here and 3DS Max here.
- A 3D editor like Maya, 3D Studio or Blender.
- Install Penumbra
- Extract the tools archive, you should see the following files:
- Place all the files directly in the "penumbra install directory\redist" folder
- Install .NET
- Install a COLLADA import/export plugin for your 3D editor if it's not built-in
- Make sure your editor is set to unit = meter
- Make sure COLLADA is set to "export polygons as triangles" under export settings
Taking your first baby steps
- Briefly read through the Documentation, mainly the HPL-Engine© Content Creation
- Use the Tutorials to get the basic skills
- Make your first level, make it really simple and create a basic scenario based on what you learned in the Tutorials
- Look at the Penumbra levels, objects and scripts for reference, use the documentation as a lexicon and you should be OK.