Getting started document
<note important>This stuff is old, mainly all 3D editing needs to be done in an editor version release at the time of the games creation in 2006/2007 and same goes for the Collada plugins. It will not work with modern releases.</note>
What you need
- Penumbra: Overture
- Download The Tools
- Download .NET 1.1 and 2.0 should both work fine.
- You will need COLLADA for your 3D editor. Get Maya here and 3DS Max here.
- A 3D editor like Maya, 3D Studio or Blender.
- Install Penumbra
- Extract the tools archive and place the files directly in the "penumbra install directory/redist", you should have the following .exe in the redist folder % * HplHelper.exe
* HudObjectEditor.exe * ModelViewer.exe * ParticleEditor.exe * ParticleViewer.exe * SceneViewer.exe
- Install .NET
- Install COLLADA for your 3D editor % * Make sure your editor is set to unit = meter
* make sure COLLADA is set to "export polygons as triangles" under export settings
Taking your first baby steps
- Briefly read through the Documentation, mainly the HPL-Engine© Content Creation
- Use the Tutorials to get the basic skills
- Make your first level, make it really simple and create a basic scenario based on what you learned in the Tutorials
- Look at the Penumbra levels, objects and scripts for reference, use the documentation as a lexicon and you should be OK.